I’ve been wondering how much longer I’d have to wait for this to happen…
Back in 1998 I was a part of the team at Sequent Computer Systems that delivered the first non-clustered TPC-C result of 100,000 Tpm-C. Well, OK, I exaggerated, it was 93,901 but the prior Oracle record was held by HP with the V2200 (a Convex system actually) at 40,794 TpmC. Non-Clustered TPC-C results do not get doubled within a year’s time so it was quite the accomplishment at the time. Even more so given the detractors and skeptics at the time that couldn’t imagine a bunch of those “little Intel processors” churning out a record TPC-C result. Well, we did. It was a huge, expensive system with 64 processors, 64GB RAM, and hundreds upon hundreds of disk drives. The system cost for that big system was $131.67 per TpmC.
That was then, this is now. On June 8, Hewlett-Packard and Oracle joined to produce a 100,926 TpmC result with a single processor—a Xeon 5355 “Cloverdale”. While it has 4 cores, it is technically a single processor. So, they beat our 1998 number with 1/64th the number of CPUs and only 24GB memory as opposed to the 64GB we used. Interesting as well is that they used 100 disks in MSA-1000 enclosures. And the cost? Only $.78 per TpmC!
The benchmark was executed with Oracle Enterprise Linux, Standard Edition One and no ASM. I can’t find anything in the full disclosure report suggesting the datafiles were on raw partitions, but I’d be very surprised to find they used Ext3. Besides, there was no value assigned to filesystemio_options that would have enabled Direct I/O and I would be dollars to doughnuts that there was no filesystem caching overhead on a TPC-C run.
On the humorous side of things, you might get a chuckle to find that on page 10 of the Full Disclosure Report, the auditors missed the subtle distinction between Oracle Enterprise Linux and Red Hat Linux 4 as the following quote will attest:
This report documents the methodology and results of the TPC Benchmark C test conducted on the hp ProLiant ML350 G5. The operating system used for the benchmark was Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. The DBMS used was Oracle Database 10g Standard Edition One.
This was a phenomenal result actually. I was quite glad to see it. I plan to share a couple other interesting things I noticed in the FDR as well in another blog entry.